Life is too important and too short, so you got to do what you love and love what you do. I have found that these 4 questions help me reflect on my day & life to keep things in perspective, keep me growing and lead a fulfilling life.
- What have I learned today?
- What task gave me the most joy today?
- What task was most pain in ass today?
- Did I make at least 1 person smile today?
I ask myself these 4 questions every night before I hit the bed, and if the answers I reflect are not the ones that I want, I make changes so that my day starts reflecting the journey I wish to travel.
I started reading the book The Charisma Myth by Olivia Fox Cabane and she shared 3 quick tips on gaining charisma boost in daily conversations. At first I was skeptical but now I have been practicing it for last month and results have been phenomenal especially as i practice tip #2 and #3. As I practiced Olivia’s 3 tips, I added few modifications of my own and the combination worked really well for me. So I wanted to share that with my readers:
- Lower the intonation of your voice at the end of your sentences.
- Reduce how quickly and how often you nod.
- When in conversation with someone, wait for at least 2 seconds before you respond. This helps in 2 ways: First, it will help you absorb what the other person has said and response intelligently. Secondly, it gives the other person a feeling that you have listened to what they had to say, absorbed the information, thought about it and then responded.
- Look the other person in they eye as you talk to them, it establishes rapport.
- Point your heart towards the heart of the person you are talking to, this creates a connection on subconscious level and makes the other person feel connected with you
Suggestions for Success & Happiness
- Love & Respect your Parents: Never forget your roots and where you come from. Your parents probably gave you more than they had and they are probably the only 2 people in the world, who would love you no matter what. So love and respect them back because the universe is watching.
- Be Giving towards your employees, customers, family. What you give about, comes about. Whatever you want in your life, start by giving it away to others, then the Universe will bring 100 more of that back into your life.
- Chose your close group of friends wisely. You become the average of 5 people you hang out the most with; so choose your close friends who are energetic, supporting, caring and have the values that you want to exhibit.
- Live with Attitude of Gratitude
- Become an avid Reader: Read at at least 25-30% of content that has nothing to do with your industry. This would give you competitive edge and exposure towards ideas from other industries that you can implement in your own.
- Get into regular Work out Regime: It has been scientifically proven that working out releases endorphin which affects our state of mind. If your state of mind is positive, you will perform better at your job.
- Share Happiness: Get into a habit of making whomever you come in contact with, leave in a better mood than with what they met you.
- Do Hardest task first thing in the morning: We often create our ToDo list and keep procrastinating towards a tough decision. I recommend doing the hardest task and toughest decision first thing in the morning, so you can cross it off your task list and you don’t spend time mulling over it all day long. Be decisive.
- Take Responsibility: You and only you are responsible towards your current state of situation or frame of mind. Make a decision to improve it and take responsibility towards it because only you can change it, no one else can.
- Be Tenacious: Live with an attitude of Tenacity and full on determination towards your goals. Never ever ever stop trying and moving towards what makes you happy.
- Marry the right person: it will determine 90% of your success and happiness. You can handle any difficult situations outside your home as long as you have a loving, supportive, kind and warm home to come to.
Linkedin announced today new feature “How you are connected” tool which makes it easier to find not only “who” in your Linkedin network knows the person you are trying to reach but also “How” they know each other. This would enable you to find which one of your connections could be the best route to reaching the person you want to connect with.
Lets say, you have a startup and are trying to get introduction to potential investor, Scott. By using this feature you will be able to see how Sam or Sally in your network is connected to potential Investor and how they are connected. Scott might have worked with Sam 10 years ago at his first job but might have invested into Sally’s company recently. So Sally might be a better way to making that introduction to Scott rather than Sam.
This tool would be great help in getting fast introductions by using quickest and shortest path.
Read more on post by Udi Milo on Linkedin’s official Blog
I came across this video that shows 44 examples of creative Ads from across the world that serves good start to get Brain storming session started when thinking about your next marketing campaign.
My Fav are #39, #35, #26, #25, #9, #2.
Which one are yours?
I have been searching for list of Twitter Hastags that are most active in Startup Community and Social Media, I couldn’t find one so started accumulating this.
This is ongoing list, if you know of hashtags that I have missed, please let me know, I will add this to my list.
Popular Hashtags for Startup Community:
#500strong (for 500 startups-related tweets),
Popular HashTags for Social Media and Marketing
#smo (Social Media Optimization)
#wmo (Web Media Optimization)
#socialchat (chat about various social media expertise)
#SMManners (etiquette when it comes to social media advertising)
#SMChat (Meet other social media experts like your self and exchange Views)
#BrandChat (Chat regarding various Brands and their marketing techniques)
#SocialMediaExperts (The hashtag will provide a lot of links, articles and blogs from various social media marketers.)
6 key factors on how to create Winning Team:
- Pick people who are “already” passionate about your business idea.
- We often get over confident thinking that we can instill passion in people regarding our product/company/idea even if it does not initially exist there. We believe that once we show them why our product matters and how it will change people lives etc. our team will get it and it would generate passion in them. It could work sometimes but it would be an uphill battle since you will have to revisit those team members again & again to keep the spark burning. So why not save yourself the uphill battle and start with cherry picking your team, who already believe in your idea, rather then spending months later trying to ingrain that passion in them.
- Easiest way to pick passionate team members is to assign them a task (even during interview process, something they can finish before 2nd interview) and see how well they do it. If they “over perform” on the task and explain to you with “passion” how & why they did it, then they could be right candidate for your team. But if they only perform what you asked them to, without going overboard, then they don’t have enough passion for your idea, and you need to keep searching.
- Lead by example
- Your team is your reflection and will mimic your work ethics. So, if you want them to perform at TOP level, you need to perform at TOP level to set the bar for them, its just that simple. Don’t just tell them what to do, or how to do it; Show them by doing it yourself. Walk the Talk, Boss man.
- ReVisit your company values every week
- Huddle with your team every Monday morning and re-visit what your company’s core values are so everyone is on same page. Repetition is the mother of mastering and learning. Constantly remind your team, what your company stands for, what values you value so it becomes part of of their daily DNA.
- Teach & Coach your team, build leaders in your team
- Find what your team members are passionate about and empower them. it doesn’t necessarily has to be work related, it can be personal. if your team member is passionate about learning Guitar, find them great tutor or give free tickets to free learning sessions. These small acts of consideration and kindness will have much greater affect than any bonus you can ever give them.
- Celebrate the smallest win’s
- This is very very important especially if you are a startup and going thru highs and lows of startup. People want to work with people they like and enjoy hanging out with. Take your team for a happy hour, play pool, go for rides at a theme park etc. Do some after work activities that are just fun with absolutely not work related talk. You will be surprised to see how connected people will feel as they return back to work and would value each other much more than before.
- Breed Learning Culture and provide tools for them to learn
- Encourage learning and teaching. Breed a culture that tells your team and employees that you & company celebrates Learning. Find out what your Team members want to learn and which direction they want to take their careers in. And then make sure at least 60-70% of the work they are doing, leads them into acquiring those skills and towards the direction they want to go in their careers.
- Establish Skill Sharing culture within your team. If one team member wants to learn about SEO and other team member wants to learn how to write a blog; Match them up so they can teach each other and share their skills. This would build rapport and connection between team members.
- Today I was driving back to SF from Sacramento and took me 45 mins from getting into the line to pay toll and actually get to the toll booth. I got delayed for a meeting because finding parking in SF was a pain in the ass. I am sure there are few of us who have experienced this issue from time to time and have missed meetings to account for.
- Why don’t we have a separate line at toll booths where people can pay Premium to cross the bridge and save time if they are in hurry. Or allow them to cross the FASTRACK lane by paying $10 more if they are in a hurry.
- People who are running late or have meetings to attend can use this lane to get to their destination on time
- City will be able to make extra cash and use that towards up keep of the bridge or wherever they want to use it.
With every pain comes an opportunity. If you transform that pain into something substantial, something life changing then the pain becomes invaluable but if you don’t utilize that pain, then it becomes useless suffering.
Life doesn’t not teach us as we learn from a book. It pushes us, probes us, makes us go through hard times, so we can appreciate the good when it comes along. We as humans have strong ability to “get used to” things very quickly and we began to take good things in life for granted and I believe sometimes life pushes hard times across our path, so we realize the value of remarkable things we have that we have been taking for granted and/or realize the true value of something wonderful that is about to enter our life.
So when life gets hard and things don’t go the way you would like them to be and you feel out of control; STOP and reflect what is not working and THINK this is an opportunity to learn something about the world or something about yourself.
Its moments like these that define us and helps us discover something new about ourselves and qualities, strengths we didn’t knew we had. Even if you look at various successful businesses, there were created when the founder was frustrated by the way things were and was in pain, and from pain he/she created something substantial that changed the way we did things.
So, welcome frustration and learn to gear it towards a creative outlet and make yourself better than before. Remember, its your perspective that makes most incidents painful or pleasurable, so learn to control your own channel and view it with different filter and you will find opportunities where they didn’t exist.